01 May 2017
The only dampener being the restriction on fireworks; the ban on the use of potassium chlorate will rob the pyrotechnic shows of their deafening noise, according to media reports.
The government is taking large-scale precautionary measures, especially related to the fireworks show, keeping in mind the tragedy at the century-old Puttingal Devi temple in Kerala, which had claimed 114 lives, almost a year ago.
The festival is known for its grand display of caparisoned elephants, dazzling parasols, and percussion music.
It is celebrated in the Malayalam month of medam (April-May). The festival was introduced by the ruler of Cochin, Raja Rama Varma, in 1798.
During the 'kudamattom' ceremony, the elephant keepers change brightly colored sequined parasols in swift and rhythmic in swift, movements, standing atop the elephants' backs.
The pooram is held at the Thekkinkadu Maidanam in Thrissur.
This year, the ‘kodiyettam’ will be held on Saturday and the sample fireworks will be held on May 3.
Thrissur is about 60km from the Kochi International Airport.
Image: Kerala Tourism
- Scotland celebrates Indian culture at new Purvai festival
- Enjoy NYC's open spaces during the Citi Summer Streets Festival in August
- Canada to celebrate Parks Day on Jul 15
- Tourism: 'Vengeful' China looking to inflict pain on South Korea
- India becomes top source market for Sri Lanka
- With non-stop long haul flight to Toronto, CSIA strengthens connectivity to North America
- Thai tourism minister launches Thailand International Film Destination Festival 2017
- Kolkata: Monkey Bar ready to enliven your Friday evening with music, meet Yes Doctor at inaugural event
- Tamil Nadu tops list of states with most foreign tourist arrivals in 2016, WB finish fifth: Union Ministry
- Mumbai: The Taj Mahal Palace secures India's first trademark registration for its iconic hotel building and dome
Gurgaon, June 28 (NITN): Airline major Spice Jet on Wednesday announced the Mega Monsoon Sale with one way all inclusive starting fares as low as Rs 699.
New Delhi, June 12 (NITN): Keeping the arrival of Monsoon in India in mind, travel major Cox & Kings has introduced a series of discounted packages in the domestic market.
Abu Dhabi, Jun 8 (IBNS): Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, is promoting a '48-Hour Abu Dhabi Stopover Programme' in Abu Dhabi with curated programmes of up to two nights’ accommodation for passengers who transit through its Abu Dhabi base.