01 May 2017
The only dampener being the restriction on fireworks; the ban on the use of potassium chlorate will rob the pyrotechnic shows of their deafening noise, according to media reports.
The government is taking large-scale precautionary measures, especially related to the fireworks show, keeping in mind the tragedy at the century-old Puttingal Devi temple in Kerala, which had claimed 114 lives, almost a year ago.
The festival is known for its grand display of caparisoned elephants, dazzling parasols, and percussion music.
It is celebrated in the Malayalam month of medam (April-May). The festival was introduced by the ruler of Cochin, Raja Rama Varma, in 1798.
During the 'kudamattom' ceremony, the elephant keepers change brightly colored sequined parasols in swift and rhythmic in swift, movements, standing atop the elephants' backs.
The pooram is held at the Thekkinkadu Maidanam in Thrissur.
This year, the ‘kodiyettam’ will be held on Saturday and the sample fireworks will be held on May 3.
Thrissur is about 60km from the Kochi International Airport.
Image: Kerala Tourism
- Geneva to join Zurich as Etihad Airways' fifth European Dreamliner destination
- OYO customers can now choose to receive booking confirmation via WhatsApp
- Ed Sheeran conquers India's tinsel town Mumbai
- Polar Bears International honours conservation heroes with Ice Bear Award
- Marvel Superheroes come to Disneyland Paris in 2018 summer
- Hollywood, Bollywood partner to bring Indian entertainment to California
- Virgin Atlantic and Sleep Council reveal secret to good flight’s sleep
- Punta Gorda/Englewood beach's new visitor center now open
- IndiGo to touch 1000 flights per day milestone!
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa Alibaug upgrades its facilities
Athens, Nov 16 (NITN): Greece can surely be the travelers' new and best destination this winter as some flights are offering journeys at low costs.
New York, Nov 9 (NITN): Round-trip flights from different cities across the US to Europe have gone cheaper as the fares are now starting at $355.
Mumbai, Nov 8 (IBNS): Jet Airways - India’s full-service, premier international airline, on Wednesday announced exciting travel options for the Winter season by offering up to 30% savings on travel from India to high–demand destinations served by the airline’s international network. Guests looking to plan their winter getaways overseas can avail of these special fares when they book their travel between Nov 8–14, 2017.