01 May 2017
The only dampener being the restriction on fireworks; the ban on the use of potassium chlorate will rob the pyrotechnic shows of their deafening noise, according to media reports.
The government is taking large-scale precautionary measures, especially related to the fireworks show, keeping in mind the tragedy at the century-old Puttingal Devi temple in Kerala, which had claimed 114 lives, almost a year ago.
The festival is known for its grand display of caparisoned elephants, dazzling parasols, and percussion music.
It is celebrated in the Malayalam month of medam (April-May). The festival was introduced by the ruler of Cochin, Raja Rama Varma, in 1798.
During the 'kudamattom' ceremony, the elephant keepers change brightly colored sequined parasols in swift and rhythmic in swift, movements, standing atop the elephants' backs.
The pooram is held at the Thekkinkadu Maidanam in Thrissur.
This year, the ‘kodiyettam’ will be held on Saturday and the sample fireworks will be held on May 3.
Thrissur is about 60km from the Kochi International Airport.
Image: Kerala Tourism
- It's service over money for Kerala hospitality service provider Sajan
- Japanese, Singaporean passports named the world's most powerful
- Sydney Harbour Bridge hosts first same-sex marriage in Australia
- Disney announces transformative multi-year expansion for Disneyland Paris
- Uzbekistan gears up to promote pilgrimage tourism
- Disneyland Paris Unveils Plans for New Marvel-Themed Attraction
- Canada to launch border security app for fast moving of travelers
- Emergency in Maldives can deal body blow to its tourism industry
- Cathay Pacific partners with Pure Yoga to bring yoga to the sky
- Jet Airways announces special fares for Republic Day
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.
New Delhi, Nov 25 (NITN): With an aim to provide flexibility to the customers to re-schedule their flights without worrying about the change fee, IndiGo is offering its special product called 'Flexi Fare' at different price levels.
Athens, Nov 16 (NITN): Greece can surely be the travelers' new and best destination this winter as some flights are offering journeys at low costs.