01 May 2017
The only dampener being the restriction on fireworks; the ban on the use of potassium chlorate will rob the pyrotechnic shows of their deafening noise, according to media reports.
The government is taking large-scale precautionary measures, especially related to the fireworks show, keeping in mind the tragedy at the century-old Puttingal Devi temple in Kerala, which had claimed 114 lives, almost a year ago.
The festival is known for its grand display of caparisoned elephants, dazzling parasols, and percussion music.
It is celebrated in the Malayalam month of medam (April-May). The festival was introduced by the ruler of Cochin, Raja Rama Varma, in 1798.
During the 'kudamattom' ceremony, the elephant keepers change brightly colored sequined parasols in swift and rhythmic in swift, movements, standing atop the elephants' backs.
The pooram is held at the Thekkinkadu Maidanam in Thrissur.
This year, the ‘kodiyettam’ will be held on Saturday and the sample fireworks will be held on May 3.
Thrissur is about 60km from the Kochi International Airport.
Image: Kerala Tourism
- Jazeera Airways commences direct flight between Mumbai and Kuwait
- Priya Entertainments and Sikkim government collaborate to develop tea-tourism in Temi
- Australia showcases tourism treasures in Adelaide
- Jet Airways to celebrate King's Day in Amsterdam, announces new offers
- Uzbekistan Embassy in India launches online campaign “Visit Uzbekistan - 2018”
- Starbucks keeps feet in Kolkata, opens three stores
- It's service over money for Kerala hospitality service provider Sajan
- Japanese, Singaporean passports named the world's most powerful
- Sydney Harbour Bridge hosts first same-sex marriage in Australia
- Disney announces transformative multi-year expansion for Disneyland Paris
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.
New Delhi, Nov 25 (NITN): With an aim to provide flexibility to the customers to re-schedule their flights without worrying about the change fee, IndiGo is offering its special product called 'Flexi Fare' at different price levels.
Athens, Nov 16 (NITN): Greece can surely be the travelers' new and best destination this winter as some flights are offering journeys at low costs.