NITN | @notintownlive | 20 Sep 2018
Venice, Sep 20 (IBNS/NITN): The familiar view of tourists resting or eating on church steps or squares in Venice could be a thing of the past with the authorities considering a ban on it.
Such activities could be made illegal and fines between EUR50 and EUR500 slapped on offenders if the ordnances, which is now before the city council, is passed, news agency ANSA reported.
Tourists could even be expelled from the city that sees millions of footfalls every year, in particularly serious cases of offending the city's "decorum", the report said, citing sources and added that such offenders could be banned from the lagoon for life.
Earlier this year, Venice had restricted tourists to several of the landmarks as part of its self-preservation plan, to combat the impact of the estimated 30 million tourists annually.
The Venetians have been demonstrating against unrestrained tourism in recent times. The romantic city on the Italian lagoon also has the problem of the huge cruise ships anchoring to let hundreds of leisure travelers a day to explore the city.
The local populace is only 55,000 in number and they were complaining about losing their neighbourhood ambience.
The mayor’s office in Venice last year had planned to introduce a ban on new tourist accommodation. In addition, they had announced monitoring agencies to check overcrowding and pinpoint areas that see high concentration of visitors.
Rome had announced a ban on eating near its numerous beautiful fountains or paddling in the water. Milan too has taken steps to preserve its old quarters from getting spoiled by insensitive tourism.
- Uzbekistan Airways to start Mumbai-Tashkent direct flights from Oct end
- Uzbekistan wins National Geographic Traveler Awards
- International meet in Greece on silk route tourism
- Watch a movie at a morgue in Vancouver
- Emirates starts Dubai-Edinburgh flight
- Dubrovnik in Croatia reels from tourist deluge
- Town declares itself Scotland’s Chilli Capital
- Reeling under overtourism, Venice considers new restrictions on visitors
- Army and air force evacuate tourists, others from landslide-hit SIkkim
- Kerala optimistic with tourist arrival from Australia
Mumbai, Sept 3 (NITN) Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has announced a special offer for passengers flying from India to the United States and Europe via its hub, Abu Dhabi.
Sydney: If you are planning a holiday in Australia from India, then this is the time as the air-tickets are available at unbeatable prices.
Cologne, Mar 17 (NITN): Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the largest German airline, is offering special sale to all travelers to fly off to and travel in Europe and North America at cheap prices.