NITN | @notintownlive | 12 Dec 2018
Experience a tour like no other -- the world famous Sumo sport and the sumo wrestlers have been Japan's greatest gift to the world! At the center of many legends and myths, you can now get an up, close and personal look at the wonderful and interesting world of sumo wrestlers.
Stand on an actual Sumo ring and face off with an ex-Sumo wrestler. Traditionally, not allowed to stand on the Sumo ring, this experience also allows women to experience something that has only been a male bastion.
With this tour, you will be given a lunch or gift ticket, which you can spend on 11 stores. You have the option of skipping lunch, and can exchange the meal voucher for souvenirs, making this tour ideal for people who are pressed for time.
WHERE: The Sumo display happens at Edo Noren, a two-story food and shopping center in Tokyo opened in November 2016 as part of the redevelopment of Ryogoku Station. Ryogoku is the heartland of Japanese sumo and Ryogoku Station is less than five minutes’ walk from the Kokugikan sumo stadium and close to a number of sumo stables or heya – where sumo wrestlers live and train.
Edo Noren has a sumo ring as part of its “Edo era” design and among the dozen or so restaurants in the complex are perfect for tourists. The restaurants offer many Japanese delicacies such as sushi, okonomiyaki, yakitori, noodles, and tempura.
There is a lot to see and do in the Ryogoku area including the Edo-Tokyo Museum, the new Sumida Hokusai Museum, the Ryogoku Fireworks Museum and the Ruins of Kira Yoshinaka’s House, Kira Yoshinaka being the man murdered by the 47 Ronin in the ultimate revenge attack way back in 1703..
Access – How to Get There
Sumida-Ku, Tokyo (JR Ryogoku Station West Exit)
Hours: 10am-11.30pm; closed January 1-2
Note: Sumo experience takes place on every Tuesday from 10:00 am- 11:00 am. Reservation required.
- 2018 was a landmark year for Indian Arrivals to Jordan
- Reception of India-Japan Tourism Council meeting celebrates success
- 70,800 Indians visited Israel in 2018
- Uzbekistan announces visa waiver for citizens of 45 countries
- Etihad Airways to introduce Boeing 787 Dreamliner to Barcelona
- Where to travel in 2019: USTOA names Italy as top destination
- Perth Airport introduces sleeping pods for passengers
- Sai Teerth: Maharashtra gets India’s first devotional theme park
- Experience Japan's greatest gift to the world -- Wrestle like a Sumo!
- Elusive carnivores fishers from weasel family released in North Cascades National Park of USA's Washington State
US railroad operator Amtrak has launched a deal offering rooms for two for the price of one for a select range of destinations across America. The offer is valid for journeys made between January 7 and May 23, 2019.
Hong Kong, Nov 22 (NITN): Cathay Pacific is offering up to USD 1,000 off on Business Class as part of its Black Friday sale in US to Asia flights.
Ho Chi Minh City, Oct 24 (IBNS/NITN): Vietjet is offering two million super-promotional tickets priced from only VND0 (conditions apply).