NITN | @notintownlive | 28 Sep 2023, 07:09 am
Bishop Elias Frank of Asansol diocese with Fr. Francis Badagu, Fr. Raymond Besra, Fr. Dolphy Mathias, Fr. Arbind Tirkey, Fr. Gerald Machado at the consecration of the altar ceremony of Chelidanga Church in Asansol.
Asansol: A renovated church at Chelidanga, in Asansol’s railway colony of West Bengal, named after St John The Apostle was formally blessed recently at an auspicious function attended by the Bishop and parish priests.
The consecration of the altar and the first Mass in the renovated church was offered by Bishop Elias Frank, the new Bishop of the Asansol diocese.
It was also the Bishop’s first visit to St. John’s Church after his Episcopal Ordination which took place on Aug 24 at Holy Family Church, Nuta, Burdwan. Also present were Fr. Francis Badagu, Fr. Raymond Besra, Fr. Dolphy Mathias, Fr. Arbind Tirkey, Fr. Gerald Machado and other guests and invitees.
“The present St John’s Church, Chelidanga, constructed in 1991, required much repair and renovation work after 32 years. The renovation work with colourful glass motifs, windows, and painted vaults have added to the spiritual ambiance,” said Parish Priest, Fr. Dolphy Mathias.
“Thus keeping in mind the place of worship and making it more suitable and appealing to the devotees who come to the Church to pray, an elaborate plan was made to use religious symbols and pictures in the Church,” recalls Fr. Mathias, who contacted Church Art Kolkata, the leading Church decor people.
The founder and administrative head of Church Art, Subrata Ganguly, who has over 40 years of experience in Church decor and furnishing, took up the task of refurbishing the whole interior, especially the background of the altar, the ceiling, the doors and windows.
As the Church is dedicated to St. John the evangelist, who was at the foot of the cross along with Mary. The altar background has been prepared with the scene of the Calvary. Also, a larger-than-life-sized statue of St. John is perched on the rooftop of the Church entrance.
Another unique and appealing feature is the twenty mysteries of the rosary depicted with pictures on the windows which gives an instant glimpse of Jesus’ life. There are ten pictures of the healing and miracles of Jesus on the ceiling of the central aisle which gives a grand look to the whole church.
The bronze finish doors with liturgical symbols bring a sense of devotion and prayer as one enters the church.
- Sona College of Technology powers ISRO rocket that launched Insat-3DS weather satellite
- Vee Technologies named to Global Outsourcing 100 list by IAOP for 9th consecutive year
- NCVET recognises assessment firm HireMee as an Assessment Agency
- Smart India Hackathon 2023: Sona College of Technology student teams emerge winners
- Muskaan and Co-scholastic interactive workshop highlight wisdom of dohas and poetry to school students in New Delhi
- As India surges ahead in digital payments, US plays catch-up
- KGMU exemplifies Uttar Pradesh's Rich 'Ganga-Jamuni' Heritage: Dr Mahendra Bhandari
- Prabha Khaitan Foundation hosts an enriching session of Kalam with Dr Sachchidanand Joshi in Kolkata
- KGMU honours inaugural VC, urologist and robotic surgery champion Mahendra Bhandari with DSc
- Prabha Khaitan Foundation flags off literary journey in Ayodhya, unveils Anant Vijay’s book at the Kitaab event
Tokyo: Airlines were forced to cancel over 300 flights following the collision between a Japan Coast Guard aircraft and a Japan Airlines passenger plane at Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Tuesday evening even as reports said the plane was cleared to land ahead of the tragedy.
New Delhi/NITN: Regular flyers on Jazeera Airways, Kuwait’s low-cost carrier, can now avail a host of discounts and benefits by enrolling for the new membership club introduced by the airline, recently.
Gurugram: Air India, a global airline in India, has initiated the deployment of its recently acquired Boeing 777 aircraft to serve all three non-stop routes from Mumbai to the United States.