NITN | @notintownlive | 26 Aug 2021, 06:01 am
Kolkata/NITN: Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR), popularly known as the Toy Train, has resumed its full journey after more than a year.
The route, which connects the Queen of the Hill Stations, Darjeeling, with New Jalpaiguri located in the foothills, had been shut down owing to the pandemic situation.
Train operation between Darjeeling and Ghum resumed on August 16 while the complete stretch was re-opened on August 25.
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway became the second railway in the world to be inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. Subsequently, the tag was broadened as the Mountain Railways of India and included the Kalka-Shimla Railway and the Nilgiri Mountain Railway along with the DHR.
Interestingly, on August 25, the United Nations Postal Administration released to collectors the 2021 World Heritage prestige booklet, featuring bridges, waterways, and railways, which includes a set of stamps on the DHR.
It is a moment of pride for Indian Railways as UNESCO has launched a stamp on Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) August 25, 2021
Among a few world heritage sites, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway attracts tourists from all over the world. pic.twitter.com/YGF5Hp0iVq
However, currently the DHR is in the middle of a controversy arising from media reports that it is likely to be privatised under the Central government's National Monetisation Pipeline (NMP) scheme
Image credit: Image by Vikramjit Kakati from Pixabay
- Famous waxwork museum Madame Tussauds Dubai opening in October
- Bangkok and other popular Thai destinations likely to reopen from October 1
- NF Railway launches 'Stream Jungle Tea Safari' to promote tourism in Darjeeling
- Mussoorie restricts number of visitors during weekends, negative RT-PCR report must
- Fully vaccinated Indian tourists to Turkey need no mandatory quarantine
- Abu Dhabi welcomes all vaccinated travellers from across world, lifts quarantine measures
- UT of Ladakh identifies its state animal and bird
- Enjoy Jungle Tea Toy-Train Safari on the world famous DHR
- Meghalaya reopens for fully vaccinated tourists, pre-registration necessary
- Darjeeling Toy Train resumes operation, honoured by UN Postal department
New Delhi/NITN Air Canada resumed its flights to India after four months, the airline said in a tweet.
New Delhi/NITN: Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, has announced the commencement of its ten-day sale in India for travel to Abu Dhabi, following the UAE government’s recent announcement to remove the quarantine requirement for all vaccinated travellers arriving from abroad.
Kolkata/NITN: SriLankan Airlines, which has resumed flights to and from India, has announced a special limited offer to boost the number of travellers between the two countries.