NITN | @notintownlive | 06 Oct 2023, 03:34 am
At least 141 years after the inception of famous Spanish architect Antoni Gaudí’s spectacular basilica church and Barcelona’s most famous landmark, the four main towers of La Basílica de la Sagrada Família are finally complete, according to Spain Tourism.
Each tower of the church represents one of the four evangelists – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – with each evangelist represented by an animal.
A beloved sight on the Barcelona skyline for a very long time, most locals and visitors are used to their view of the majestic church being impeded by scaffolding, but this is set to change with an end to construction work finally in sight.
"The Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la SagradaFamília" is an awe-inspiring church that rises up to the sky in the heart of Barcelona as the most audacious work of Gaudí.
The fantastical SagradaFamília is Barcelona's most visited tourist attraction.
Popularly known as the Gaudi church, it is a large Roman Catholic church, designed by Gaudí (1852–1926), a symbol of Catalan modernism for his adventurous, whimsical and exuberant works.
The scaffolding on the four towers will be taken down shortly, bringing a new era to Sagrada Família, which is also the final resting place of its famous architect.
It bears the mark of Gaudi's architectural and engineering style, combining Gothic and curvilinear Art Nouveau forms.
Soaring towers, mind-blowing kaleidoscopic stained glass work and its intricate relief works of sculptures resembling an outgrowth of the stone, make this church a compelling visit if you are in Barcelona.
The team behind the UNESCO-listed site are now looking ahead to completing the central tower, representing Christ; this tower is to be topped with a statue of Jesus, making Sagrada Família one of the tallest churches in the world.
La Basílica de la Sagrada Família is famous for being incomplete, and construction has been hampered by the fact that Gaudí himself did not leave full plans for the cathedral.
However, it is hoped that the church will be finished in its entirety within the next three years, with an anticipated completion date of 2026 marking the 100th anniversary of Gaudí’s death
(Photo courtesy: Sujoy Dhar)
- Eighth Bahrain Food Festival to be held in February this year
- City of the Taj Mahal gears up for its annual festival; revised dates of the Taj Mahotsav in Agra announced
- Kuda Villingili Resort Maldives woos couples with special Valentine’s Day offers
- UNWTO: Expects global tourism to recover to pre-pandemic levels in 2024 subject to pent-up demand, increased air travel and stronger Asian markets
- Not interested in mass tourism: Mizoram Chief Minister Lalduhoma
- Kuda Villingili Maldives recognized as The Best Honeymoon Hotel 2023 by The White Awards
- Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty enjoys at Kuda Villingili Resort in Maldives with family
- Destinations offering digital nomad visas on the rise, says latest report from World Tourism Organisation
- Kuda Villingili Resort Maldives transforms into carnival land for year-end holidays
- UNWTO names Gujarat's Dhordo as 'best tourism village' of 2023
Tokyo: Airlines were forced to cancel over 300 flights following the collision between a Japan Coast Guard aircraft and a Japan Airlines passenger plane at Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Tuesday evening even as reports said the plane was cleared to land ahead of the tragedy.
New Delhi/NITN: Regular flyers on Jazeera Airways, Kuwait’s low-cost carrier, can now avail a host of discounts and benefits by enrolling for the new membership club introduced by the airline, recently.
Gurugram: Air India, a global airline in India, has initiated the deployment of its recently acquired Boeing 777 aircraft to serve all three non-stop routes from Mumbai to the United States.