NITN | @notintownlive | 03 Jul 2019, 08:53 am
Kolkata, July 2 : Many senior citizens of Kolkata, police officials and others recently came together to celebrate the 11th Anniversary of Pronam, a decade-old police initiative to provide the elderly with a support system.
The function was flagged off with the traditional lighting of a lamp and the cutting of an Anniversary cake by senior citizens of Pronam. Police officials of Ballygunge and Tollygunge Police Stations, Nayantara Pal Chowdhury, member, The Bengal, and others joined the senior citizens to present songs with patriotic and humanitarian themes.
The Pronam Project, with over 15,000 elderly members from across Kolkata business district is aimed at providing support to the senior citizens of Kolkata, many of whom need special support due to their old age. The programme is initiated by The Bengal, an NGO of eminent Kolkatans, in association with Kolkata Police.
“I am thankful to the Kolkata Police for providing support and assistance to the elderly members of our society,” said Sundeep Bhutoria, Secretary General, The Bengal.
The programme started with an introductory song by Nupur Chatterjee and was conducted by Gopal Krishna Taraphder, member of Pronam Project. Sukla Taraphder, Administrative Officer of Pronam Project, delivered the introductory speech. Many senior citizens were felicitated on the occasion with flowers and stoles. Barun Samadder, Editor, Pronam Magazine, was also present.
Ranjan Halder, Officer-in-Charge of Ballygunge PS and Debasish Naskar, Additional OC Ballygunge PS were also present in the programme. Debojit Chatterjee, OC, Hare Street Police Station and Nirupam Dutta, Anti-rowdy Officer of Ballygunge PS, was present and sang folk songs with the elderly members. Mr Chatterjee, OC of Hare Street Police Station presented songs written by him.
Pronam has a dedicated 24-hour helpline hub for the senior citizens manned by specially trained Kolkata Police staff and executives for receiving emergency calls from senior citizens and take follow up action. Pronam also tries to sensitise the society about the plight of our elderly and extend support to them around the year.
- 42 young Robotic Surgeons to share path breaking procedures
- Ruskin Bond unveils creative diary designed by 6-year-old Aavya
- Vee Tech CEO Chocko Valliappa nominated as member of Syndicate of Anna University
- HireMee wins Future Ready organisation award by HRworld
- Fashionista Samantha Kochharr arrives at the literary scene with her debut book Arribada: The Arrival
- Vattikuti Foundation announces global Robotic Surgery competition
- Grammy-winning Ricky Kej curates unique Music of the Month themes for Kolkata-based Prabha Khaitan Foundation
- Sona College students turn Covid trash into cement-free bricks with innovative method
- ISRO’s RLV LEX boosts indigenous tech to power India’s defence needs
- Vee Technologies’ Venkat Umakanth is the SMB CTO of the year
Garuda Indonesia (GA) and Singapore Airlines (SIA) have announced their plans to establish a joint venture arrangement, aimed at strengthening their cooperation, expanding passenger capacity between Singapore and Indonesia, and offering customers more travel options between the two countries.
Abu Dhabi/UAE: Etihad Airways announced its plans to launch five weekly flights to Osaka, Japan, starting from October 1, 2023. This move will establish a vital link between one of the world's most culturally vibrant cities and Etihad's extensive global network.
Kolkata: Akasa Air, a new airline operating in India, on Thursday commenced its operations from Kolkata.