NITN | @notintownlive | 15 Aug 2019, 01:36 pm
Kolkata, Aug 15: Senior citizen members of Pronam - a joint initiative and project of The Bengal and Kolkata Police for the elderly in the city - on Thursday hoisted the National Tricolour at a function held at the compound of Ballygunge Police Station.
The members hoisted the National Flag in presence of The Bengal officials Arindam Sil, June Maliah and Secretary-General, Sundeep Bhutoria. Raksha Bandhan was also celebrated with great enthusiasm as many police personnel tied rakhis on senior citizens of Pronam and many senior citizens also reciprocated.
"Pronam at present has over 16,000 senior citizens as its members. The Bengal, which is a partner of Kolkata Police in the project, is mulling the possibility of extending the Pronam project to cover more senior citizens. By 2050 India would be hit by a 'silver tsunami' or a greying population of 324 million senior citizens.
Hence, there is a need for initiating more projects like Pronam for the elderly in India," said Sundeep Bhutoria, Secretary-General, The Bengal.
Kolkata Police have taken a special drive to extend protection to the senior citizens of Kolkata and instil confidence in them in the wake of recent untoward incidents against the elderly. The Pronam project is also supported by Shree Cement Limited as a part of their CSR initiative.
According to a national survey report on Elder Abuse in India, a large number of elderly are unaware of existing laws to protect them. The feeling of being neglected is widespread.
Sensitizing the society about the plight of our elderly is a mammoth task that requires a gargantuan pan-Indian effort.
The maximum number of the senior citizens felt that the elderly should be given protection by law enforcing agencies followed by home visits. It is estimated that India has well over 100 million senior citizens (above 60 years) in India and growing.
- 42 young Robotic Surgeons to share path breaking procedures
- Ruskin Bond unveils creative diary designed by 6-year-old Aavya
- Vee Tech CEO Chocko Valliappa nominated as member of Syndicate of Anna University
- HireMee wins Future Ready organisation award by HRworld
- Fashionista Samantha Kochharr arrives at the literary scene with her debut book Arribada: The Arrival
- Vattikuti Foundation announces global Robotic Surgery competition
- Grammy-winning Ricky Kej curates unique Music of the Month themes for Kolkata-based Prabha Khaitan Foundation
- Sona College students turn Covid trash into cement-free bricks with innovative method
- ISRO’s RLV LEX boosts indigenous tech to power India’s defence needs
- Vee Technologies’ Venkat Umakanth is the SMB CTO of the year
Garuda Indonesia (GA) and Singapore Airlines (SIA) have announced their plans to establish a joint venture arrangement, aimed at strengthening their cooperation, expanding passenger capacity between Singapore and Indonesia, and offering customers more travel options between the two countries.
Abu Dhabi/UAE: Etihad Airways announced its plans to launch five weekly flights to Osaka, Japan, starting from October 1, 2023. This move will establish a vital link between one of the world's most culturally vibrant cities and Etihad's extensive global network.
Kolkata: Akasa Air, a new airline operating in India, on Thursday commenced its operations from Kolkata.