NITN | @notintownlive | 25 Dec 2019
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee participated at the Christmas night services marking the birth of Lord Jesus at The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary, also known as the Portuguese Church, on the eve of Xmas here in Kolkata.
A crib set depicting the divine birth of Lord Jesus was unveiled on the occasion and would be on display all through the Christmas and New Year season. Archbishop Thomas D’Souza of Calcutta presided over the Christmas Night services at the Cathedral.
“May the light of Christmas enlighten our hearts and to have goodwill and to live and let live. Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous and peaceful New Year 2020,” said Father Siluvai Pitchai of The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary.
The traditional nativity scene at the Church entrance this year wears a modern look with an art work depicting the Holy Family of Nazareth - the family of Jesus with Mother Mary seated and teaching boy Jesus while his foster father Joseph puts his hand lovingly over the shoulder of Jesus.
“The art work highlights the `teaching’ role of the mother in the family with the nurturing and loving presence of the father in the wholesome education of the child,” said Church Art Kolkata founder Subrata Ganguly.
The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary, commonly known as the Portuguese Church, in Kolkata, is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Calcutta. It is also known as the Murgihata Church and was founded in 1799.
- Book review: Enjoy the unfolding of uncondtional love between a father and son in 'Frnz Forever'
- Power Publishers takes a leading role in producing video books as text supplements for students
- Book review: Rediscover the charm of poetry in 'Stith - Bhavna Pravaha' by Milind Kapale
- Book review: A primer for understanding geometric technical drawing and engineering design
- Starmark to pay homage to Rabindranath Tagore on his 159th birth anniversary and to Satyajit Ray on his birth centenary
- HireMee unveils mid-term student assessments solution for colleges
- Check out Galpowala audiobook app for a wide range of Bengali modern books and classics
- Dhritiman Chaterji to e-launch The Final Adventures of Professor Shonku on Satyajit Ray’s 99th birth anniversary
- Techstars Bangalore concludes 2020 class
- Naad Wellness introduces Dinacharya by Naad to strengthen body's immune system
New Delhi/NITN: In its endeavour to provide support to the nation, leading carrier IndiGo is collaborating with the Indian Meteorological Department by providing crucial aircraft data on wind, humidity and temperature relayed by the aircraft sensors.
Ottawa/NITN: Collapsing of the aviation industry, due to the coronavirus outbreak, forced Air Canada to slash its workforce by 50 to 60 per cent effective June 7, a memo by the company sent to all its employees said.
Gaya: THAI Smile Airways, a Thai low-cost regional airline, on Saturday (May 13) flew 129 people, including 82 Buddhist monks, from the Buddhist holy site of Gaya in eastern India's Bihar to Bangkok in Thailand.