NITN | @notintownlive | 14 Feb 2021, 10:09 pm
Kolkata: The Shree Cement corporate social responsibility (CSR) support for the senior citizens project PRONAM got a boost in Kolkata with the formal inauguration of a fully-equipped office by the Kolkata Commissioner of Police, Mr Anuj Sharma, IPS, in the presence of film director Goutam Ghose and other dignitaries.
The Pronam project for senior citizens is a unique community-service model in India for the senior citizens of Kolkata. Pronam is run by Kolkata Police in collaboration with city-based non-governmental organization (NGO) The Bengal and Shree Cement has been supporting it since its inception in 2010. Pronam currently has nearly 20,000 registered senior citizens on its roll and there is a huge demand to expand its sphere and cover more senior citizens. During corona Pronam volunteers provided medicines and essential services to the elderly who were left on their own.
"The Pronam project has grown over the years and reached out to the senior citizens of the city providing security and moral support. The corona virus outbreak has posed a serious question mark on the well-being of senior citizens in Kolkata, especially those who live by themselves. Many elderly residents of Kolkata have children working outside the city or country and are hard up to carry out the daily chores like going to the market or doctors.
"The Pronam staff with the help of Kolkata Police personnel have stood by the elderly during these trying times,” said industrialist Hari Mohan Bangur, Chairman of The Bengal and Managing Director of Shree Cement, in a message.
Pronam is one of the largest outreach programmes in the eastern region for the elderly with Kolkata Police and The Bengal providing logistical support. The new office or Emergency Coordination Room for Senior Citizens would go a long way in reducing the turnaround time for catering to the needs of the elderly in the city.
The Kolkata Police has a dedicated Senior Citizen Helpline Number for the elderly to call on and report their problem. The Pronam office works 24 hours with the helpline 03324190740.
"I am glad that Pronam now has an additional state-of-the-art office. The Kolkata Police has created a 24x7 infrastructure to support the senior citizens of our city and ensure their safety. Pronam also organises various cultural activities for the elderly during the year,” Sharma said.
On an average, Pronam receives close to 1000 applications each month from senior citizens seeking membership. Currently, senior citizens above the age of 60 years living within the jurisdiction of Kolkata are eligible for Pronam membership under certain criteria.
- Vee Technologies’ Venkat Umakanth is the SMB CTO of the year
- Vee Technologies appoints Bhupendra Joshi as CHRO
- HireMee announces Employability Test for graduates for edge in job market
- Muskaan hosts puppet show and interactive session with Mumbai-based puppeteer
- HireMee named 'Most Promising Assessment Service Provider'
- Kolkata witnesses evening of introspection as Prabha Khaitan Foundation unveils Baidyanath headman's book on karma
- Charge EV industry growth with fresh tech talent: Chocko Valliappa
- Sona College faculty tops technology learning program by IITs, IISc
- Nirmala Sitharaman deserves compliments for prioritising higher education and skilling in Budget 2023-24: Sona Group of Education Institutions Vice Chairman
- Behala Art Fest: Do not miss this street art festival if you are in Kolkata for the weekend
New Delhi: Airlines major Air India launched its first-ever non-stop flight to London Gatwick, from Amritsar on Monday.
Singapore/NITN: Scoot, the low-cost subsidiary of Singapore Airlines (SIA), announced that it will steadily resume flights to and from China buoyed by further relaxation of border restrictions imposed during the pandemic.
Indian carrier IndiGo has announced exclusive flights between Bengaluru to Kolhapur, and connecting flights via Bengaluru from Coimbatore to Kolhapur, effective Jan 13, 2023.