NITN | @notintownlive | 28 Sep 2020
Adelaide/NITN: With the world adjusting to the new normal after the pandemic crisis, the sporting world is trying to bounce back with tournaments.
Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) has confirmed that the 2020 State of Origin series will kick-off in Adelaide, as planned.
Adelaide Oval will host the opening State of Origin match on November 4.
According to a release from the South Australian Tourism Commission, their Events South Australia team, the Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority, and South Australia Health, is collaborating to ensure the milestone event can go ahead and be COVID safe.
This is the first time that Adelaide Oval will be hosting the opening match of the State of Origin series.
NRL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Abdo said the game, led by the Commission, and its government partners had worked tirelessly with health officials to ensure Origin is showcased across three different states this year.
"State of Origin is the greatest rivalry in Australian sport and Australia's most watched television event. It transcends the two states and captivates the interests of the entire nation. We are excited to play this historic game in South Australia for the very first time," he said.
Abdo said the 2020 Origin Series would celebrate four decades of the biggest rivalry in Australian sport.
"This year will be special, it marks the 40th Anniversary of Origin. The concept has come so far since Arthur Beetson famously led Queensland onto Lang Park in 1980 with his hands covered in chalk," he said.
NRL is now working out the crowd capacity at each venue and other related requirements to ensure the tournament takes place smoothly without jeopardising the security and health of everyone involved, including officials, players, and spectators.
South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said the match was a great opportunity to showcase NRL in SA, and a strong endorsement of Adelaide Oval's outstanding COVID- 19 management plans.
"It's been a substantial amount of work by the NRL, SATC, SA Health and Adelaide Oval to develop a plan to make this happen for the fans. It is a terrific outcome and we can't wait to welcome the first game of the State of Origin to Adelaide, and to help celebrate their 40th anniversary of Origin matches," he said.
(Main Image: South Australian Tourism Commission Facebook)
- The Marketplace: An initiative to support non-travel businesses started by travel professionals
- Ankara's New Presidential Symphony Orchestra Concert Hall opens doors as world-class music venue
- WTTC appreciates Indian government’s support to travel and tourism industry in this pandemic crisis
- UNWTO and FAO sign MoU for developing tourism for rural development
- Heads of UNWTO and OECD press for coordinated action to restart tourism and save livelihoods
- GoUSA TV brings all travel entertainment with no subscription
- Brand USA and Airbnb Launch USA Country Collection of Online Experiences
- Uzbekistan to resume int'l tourism next month
- Mozambican tourism sector sees 3,000 employees back to work
- Pubs reopen in Kolkata, to stay open as per government mandated hours
Gurugram/NITN: India's private airline SpiceJet on Monday announced the launch of daily flight services connecting Darbhanga with key metros of Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Kochi/NITN: India's private airline IndiGo commenced two weekly flights between India and Maldives under air bubble from Friday.
Kolkata/UNI/NITN: Air India, the Asian country's national airline, is actively considering reintroduction of its Kolkata-London-Kolkata direct flight soon after getting nod from the Aviation Ministry and Airport Authority of India (AAI) and clearance of other technicalities.