NITN | @notintownlive | 27 Dec 2020, 04:35 am
For centuries handwoven textiles from Bengal have been the cynosure of eyes from across the world. This Christmas ITC Royal Bengal and ITC Sonar in Kolkata's Tree of Loom-inosity celebrates the timeless legacy of this cultural heritage.
Designed by local artist Manas Ghoria who creates a sustainable bionetwork for loom artists across the state's ecosystem, the Tree of Loom-Inosity includes several traditional forms of weaving.
The Jamdani that is rich in motifs and the Baluchori from the Murshidabad district that dates back to the early 18th century keep company with the embroidery craft of Nakshi Kantha and the exotic Tangail weaves. Here too is the Khesh or the Dhonekhali, one of the oldest sustainable techniques in weaving.
The Tree of Vitality is handcrafted with indigenous resources by Kolkata artists Shailpik Biswas & Paramita Saha, its artistic elegance celebrates life and sustainability.
"Inspired from Rabindranath Tagore's several poems which have immortalised nature inculcating it through a generic cultural framework much like our ethos of Responsible Luxury that permeates across all that we do at ITC Hotels, a few lines of his poetry are included in the design of the tree," the hotel said in a release.
Tejinder Singh, Area Manager East ITC Hotels & Cluster General Manager ITC Royal Bengal & ITC Sonar said: “As we step into the New Year and the New Normal, sustainability and responsibility lie at the core of ITC Hotels’ Responsible Luxury ethos. This too is reflected in WelcomArt, where we nurture local artisans to recreate artistic excellence as ITC Royal Bengal & ITC Sonar celebrate this eternal symbol of life and intrinsic flavour of this region."
- Himachal Pradesh: India's first indoor Ski Park to be developed at Kufri
- Jammu and Kashmir: Tourism department to provide free accommodation to stranded tourists
- Jammu and Kashmir: Ski lovers throng Gulmarg on year's first snowfall
- Hong Kong New Year Countdown celebration goes online
- Welcomhotel Shimla: Your window to the Himalayan splendor of Mashobra
- ITC Royal Bengal & ITC Sonar celebrate Yuletide with Vocal for Local Christmas Trees
- Desperately Seeking Santa show travels to Lapland for Christmas
- Discovery Channel is back with Season 2 of ‘Feelin Alive’ featuring Amol Parashar, Cyrus Sahukar
- J&K: Gulmarg hotels sold out as tourists return to Valley
- Eating out in Kolkata: Seven choices for Christmas and New Year
Abu Dhabi, UAE: Etihad Airways, the national carrier for the UAE, is making it easier for students to travel between university and home or to discover new horizons and cultures, with the launch of its Global Student offer.
Gurugram/NITN: India's private airline SpiceJet on Monday announced the launch of daily flight services connecting Darbhanga with key metros of Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Kochi/NITN: India's private airline IndiGo commenced two weekly flights between India and Maldives under air bubble from Friday.