NITN | @notintownlive | 05 Oct 2021, 07:43 am

Image: Wikimedia Creative Commons
Canberra/NITN: Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has said the country will not welcome international tourists until next year, while the returns of skilled migrants and overseas students will be given higher priority.
During an interview to Australia-based Seven Network television on Tuesday, Prime Minister Morisson said that Australian citizens and residents, who are vaccinated, will be able to travel overseas and return.
"The first priority is Australians, and the next priorities are skilled migrants that are very important for the country and who are double vaccinated, as well as students who are coming and returning to Australia for their studies," Scott Morrison told Seven Network.
"We will get to international visitors as well, I believe next year," Morrison added.
Talking about the vaccination roll out in the Oceanian country, Scott Morrison said, "Australia's vaccination programme is running very strongly, and today we have reached the 'milestone' of 80 percent of the eligible population— aged 16 and older— having received first doses of a COVID-19 vaccine."
"When we get to 70 and 80 percent vaccination (double doses), then we will also have treatments in place into the future so we can ensure the pressure comes off the hospitals, we can live with the virus," the Prime Minister said in the interview.
"We can ensure Australians can take their lives back. We've saved lives, saved livelihoods, and I want to see Australians now take their lives back," Morrison added.
Last week, PM Morrison outlined plans to allow vaccinated Australian citizens and permanent residents to fly overseas and to ease border restrictions from November, as the country is all set to move from a strict zero-Covid strategy to a model of living with the virus.
Related article: Australia reveals plan to resume international travel, ease border restrictions
The move comes more than 18 months after Australia closed its borders to the world to contain the spread of Covid-19, imposing quotas on arrivals.
Due to the Australian government's decision, thousands of citizens had been stranded overseas and those able to make the journey had to undergo a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine.
- Newly launched booking site QuietHotelRooms.com helps travellers sleep better
- Air Canada to begin operations after flight attendants decide to end strike
- Kolkata gets its first direct Metro to airport; PM Modi set to open 3 game changing routes on Aug 22
- Air Canada flights remain grounded as striking union defies order to resume work
- Uber introduces Intercity Motorhomes as it expands to 3,000 routes in India
- High Commission issues advisory for Indians travelling to Malaysia
- Grand Egyptian Museum to open its doors on Nov1
- Aadhaar OTP now mandatory for online Tatkal train bookings
- PM Modi to launch Bengaluru Metro's Yellow Line, new Vande Bharat Express
- IndiGo slapped with heavy fine for providing ‘unhygienic, dirty seat’ to passenger
Air New Zealand has announced plans to host a live inflight concert, ‘SYNTHONY in the Sky’, on Dec 4 aboard Flight NZ1331 from Auckland to Sydney.
Qatar Airways will move its New York operations to The New Terminal One at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in 2026. As part of the relocation, the airline plans to open a 15,000-square-foot lounge, its first dedicated facility in both New York City and the United States.
All Air Canada planes remained grounded late Saturday despite the Canadian government intervening to end a strike called by cabin crew members that resulted in hundreds of flights being cancelled and triggered chaos, media reports said.