NITN | @@notintownlive | 13 Mar 2020, 07:12 am
Image Credit: UNI
New Delhi/NITN: Amid the worldwide panic over the Novel Coronavirus outbreak, Prime Minister Narendra Modi stepped up on Friday to propose to all South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nation to chalk out a "strong strategy" to combat the deadly virus.
Modi tweeted, "Our planet is battling the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus. At various levels, governments and people are trying their best to combat it. South Asia, which is home to a significant number of the global population should leave no stone unturned to ensure our people are healthy."
Our planet is battling the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus. At various levels, governments and people are trying their best to combat it.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 13, 2020
South Asia, which is home to a significant number of the global population should leave no stone unturned to ensure our people are healthy.
He added, "I would like to propose that the leadership of SAARC nations chalk out a strong strategy to fight Coronavirus. We could discuss, via video conferencing, ways to keep our citizens healthy. Together, we can set an example to the world, and contribute to a healthier planet."
I would like to propose that the leadership of SAARC nations chalk out a strong strategy to fight Coronavirus.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 13, 2020
We could discuss, via video conferencing, ways to keep our citizens healthy.
Together, we can set an example to the world, and contribute to a healthier planet.
Modi on Thursday said his government was vigilant about the present situation urging people not to panic.
In a tweet, Modi, who had earlier skipped the Holi celebrations over Coronavirus outbreak, had tweeted, "The Government is fully vigilant about the situation due to COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus. Across ministries & states, multiple steps have been proactively taken to ensure safety of all. These steps are wide-ranging, from suspension of Visas to augmenting healthcare capacities."
The Government is fully vigilant about the situation due to COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus .
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 12, 2020
Across ministries & states, multiple steps have been proactively taken to ensure safety of all.
These steps are wide-ranging, from suspension of Visas to augmenting healthcare capacities.
The Prime Minister said none of his ministers will travel abroad in upcoming days.
He had tweeted, "Say No to Panic, Say Yes to Precautions. No Minister of the Central Government will travel abroad in the upcoming days. I urge our countrymen to also avoid non-essential travel. We can break the chain of spread and ensure safety of all by avoiding large gatherings."
Say No to Panic, Say Yes to Precautions.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 12, 2020
No Minister of the Central Government will travel abroad in the upcoming days. I urge our countrymen to also avoid non-essential travel.
We can break the chain of spread and ensure safety of all by avoiding large gatherings.
As per the last update, 83 people in India have been infected by Coronavirus.
India recorded its first death from the virus on Thursday. The deceased was a 76-year old man from Karnataka.
(Image Credit: UNI)
- Air Canada Foundation flies more than 1,000 children to U.S. theme parks
- New Zealand revamps Golden Visa: What the shift means for Digital Nomads
- ‘Paris has Fashion Week – Berlin now has Freedom Week’
- Rising fraud, trafficking, kidnapping cases: Why has Iran suspended visa-free entry for Indian citizens
- IHCL steps into Nagaland with 'Ginger'
- India's North-East goes global: Sikkim to host International Tourism Mart from Nov 13
- Beach, sun… no beer? Thailand introduces strict new drinking hours
- Air India just finished a total makeover of A320neo fleet — Here’s what’s changed
- Tourism: Skal International Kolkata appoints new board at AGM
- Legends, newcomers, and four nights of rhythm — Zurich’s autumn just got louder
Tata Group-owned Air India on Sunday announced the reinstatement of its codeshare agreement with fellow Star Alliance carrier, Air Canada, to offer more flight options for travellers and boost connectivity between India and Canada.
Starting Nov 16, 2025, IndiGo will operate direct flights between Bengaluru and Riyadh, expanding its network to Saudi Arabia.
American Airlines will launch new seasonal service between New York (JFK) and Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI) in March 2026, expanding its international network.
