NITN | @notintownlive | 27 Jul 2020, 09:53 am
Madrid/IBNS: A government’s response to COVID-19 should not undermine solidarity and confidence among people, said World Tourism Organisation’s (UNWTO’s) Secretary General Zurab Pololikashvili during his recent visit to the Balearic Islands, an archipelago of Spain in the Mediterranean Sea.
Many European countries are now ready to open their tourism sector with the onset of summer, to offer relief to the much battered sector.
According to a UNWTO report, tourism accounts for 27 million jobs in these countries and supports many businesses.
Teams from UNWTO led by the Secretary General have been personally visiting key tourism centres in Europe to check if all pandemic containment measures are in place as well as make people confident about travelling beyond their homes.
On a recent official visit to the Canary Islands, UNWTO witnessed first-hand how the restart of tourism can be managed responsibly.
“During this week’s visit to the Balearic Islands we are also seeing how the enforcement of strict health and hygiene protocols are the right partners for the reopening of tourist destinations,” said Secretary General Pololikashvili, “Governments have a duty to put the wellbeing of their citizens first. At the same time, they also have a responsibility to protect livelihoods and businesses.”
According to him, a government’s response ‘also goes hand-in-hand with a responsibility to preserve the spirit of international solidarity that has characterized our response to this shared crisis, a response that has included international institutions, the civil society at large and individual citizens’.
“Again and again, the pandemic puts us to the test and proves that we are stronger if we act together and not in isolation,” he said.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak, UNWTO has been calling for governments to work together and with the private sector to get tourism moving again.
The Secretary General pointed out that it is not too late to ensure the economic and social benefits because tourism has a long history of delivering returns before the end of the high season.
“For this, however, we need even greater cooperation and for both individual and joint actions to be considered and proportionate,” he pointed out.
- Hot food in plastic packets: Is it safe? Vande Bharat passenger raises concern
- Visa-Free Armenia: A New Opportunity for Indian Travellers
- Join the “Lanterns & Legends” Walk to Celebrate Chinese New Year at Bow Barracks
- Tourist Chaos Forces Japan to Cancel Iconic Mount Fuji Cherry Blossom Festival
- Hajj 2026 visas now open – Saudi Arabia prepares for record pilgrimage
- Rome’s Trevi Fountain Now Has an Entry Fee — What Travellers Need to Know
- Need Proof of Past International Travel? What Indians Should Know
- Czechia’s 2026 Travel Theme Focuses on Flexible, Experience-Led Journeys
- Dreaming about international travel? Union Budget just made it cheaper!
- Lost Your Indian Passport Abroad? Here’s What You Need to Do
Montreal: Air Canada will expand its Mexico network this summer, increasing seat capacity by 18% compared with last year and launching a new year-round route between Montréal and Guadalajara.
Tata Group-owned Air India and Lufthansa Group on Tuesday signed a landmark Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), establishing the framework for a joint business agreement between Air India's and Lufthansa Group’s carriers and subsidiaries, including Air India Express, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, ITA Airways, Lufthansa, Swiss International Air Lines (SWISS), and other affiliated airlines.
ixigo, India’s leading AI-based travel platform, has introduced Airport Cabs, a new service that allows travellers to book reliable and cost-effective cabs to and from major airports across the country.
