NITN | @notintownlive | 20 Jul 2021, 11:10 am
Washington/IBNS: American business magnet Jeff Bezos on Tuesday created history by spending 10 minutes in space on Blue Origin's first human mission.
The billionaire entrepreneur made history by being part of the first unpiloted suborbital flight with an all-civilian crew.
This marks a significant moment for an emerging industry seeking to make the final frontier accessible to elite tourists.
After the spaceship touched down in the west Texas desert following a 10-minute hop to the Karman line and back, Bezos was quoated as saying by AFP: "A very happy group of people in this capsule."
Bezos' company has launched the first sub-orbital sightseeing trip on its spacecraft called New Shepard.
The New Shepard capsule reached at an altitude of 66.5 miles (107 kilometers), allowing the passengers to have an experience of becoming weightless while admiring the curve of the Earth, said reports.
Bezos, who owns Amazon, founded Blue Origin in 2000 to become an American privately funded aerospace manufacturer and sub-orbital spaceflight services.
The company is developing a heavy-lift orbital rocket called New Glenn and also a Moon lander. It is trying to establish contact with NASA, said reports.
Named after Alan Shepard, the first American to have travelled in space, the New Shepard suborbital rocket had flown 15 uncrewed flights to test safety mechanisms.
Image credit: Blue Origin Facebook
- Jeff Bezos travels to space in his private rocket New Shepard
- The Singapore Tourism Board, in partnership with Voot Kids, presents “Chhota Bheem – Adventures in Singapore”
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights to open on July 27; for fully vaccinated visitors only
- Sonmarg in Kashmir closed for day picnickers for next two weekends to prevent COVID resurgence
- Global Tourism Plastics Initiative works to reduce use of plastics in tourism sector
- South Australia has started opening borders for interstate travel
- Industrialist Anand Mahindra picks unknown Himalayan pool on the travel bucket list
- Bengaluru city railway station first in country to get a tunnel aquarium
- Select European countries clear India’s Covishield, EU holds back
- Have you been to the Scotland of the East? Here is a list of things to see in Shillong
Colombo: SriLankan Airlines is all set to resume flights to the Russian capital Moscow after a break of six years.
Abu Dhabi/NITN: UAE's second flag carrier Etihad Airways has extended its ‘Verified To Fly’ travel document initiative, enabling travelers to validate their Covid-19 travel documents before arriving at the airport, to routes across its global network.
Mumbai: AirAsia India on Friday operated 9 flights with fully vaccinated crew including cabin crew and pilots, the airline said.