NITN | @notintownlive | 20 Sep 2018, 01:52 pm

Venice, Sep 20 (IBNS/NITN): The familiar view of tourists resting or eating on church steps or squares in Venice could be a thing of the past with the authorities considering a ban on it.
Such activities could be made illegal and fines between EUR50 and EUR500 slapped on offenders if the ordnances, which is now before the city council, is passed, news agency ANSA reported.
Tourists could even be expelled from the city that sees millions of footfalls every year, in particularly serious cases of offending the city's "decorum", the report said, citing sources and added that such offenders could be banned from the lagoon for life.
Earlier this year, Venice had restricted tourists to several of the landmarks as part of its self-preservation plan, to combat the impact of the estimated 30 million tourists annually.
The Venetians have been demonstrating against unrestrained tourism in recent times. The romantic city on the Italian lagoon also has the problem of the huge cruise ships anchoring to let hundreds of leisure travelers a day to explore the city.
The local populace is only 55,000 in number and they were complaining about losing their neighbourhood ambience.
The mayor’s office in Venice last year had planned to introduce a ban on new tourist accommodation. In addition, they had announced monitoring agencies to check overcrowding and pinpoint areas that see high concentration of visitors.
Rome had announced a ban on eating near its numerous beautiful fountains or paddling in the water. Milan too has taken steps to preserve its old quarters from getting spoiled by insensitive tourism.
- Newly launched booking site QuietHotelRooms.com helps travellers sleep better
- Air Canada to begin operations after flight attendants decide to end strike
- Kolkata gets its first direct Metro to airport; PM Modi set to open 3 game changing routes on Aug 22
- Air Canada flights remain grounded as striking union defies order to resume work
- Uber introduces Intercity Motorhomes as it expands to 3,000 routes in India
- High Commission issues advisory for Indians travelling to Malaysia
- Grand Egyptian Museum to open its doors on Nov1
- Aadhaar OTP now mandatory for online Tatkal train bookings
- PM Modi to launch Bengaluru Metro's Yellow Line, new Vande Bharat Express
- IndiGo slapped with heavy fine for providing ‘unhygienic, dirty seat’ to passenger
Air New Zealand has announced plans to host a live inflight concert, ‘SYNTHONY in the Sky’, on Dec 4 aboard Flight NZ1331 from Auckland to Sydney.
Qatar Airways will move its New York operations to The New Terminal One at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in 2026. As part of the relocation, the airline plans to open a 15,000-square-foot lounge, its first dedicated facility in both New York City and the United States.
All Air Canada planes remained grounded late Saturday despite the Canadian government intervening to end a strike called by cabin crew members that resulted in hundreds of flights being cancelled and triggered chaos, media reports said.