NITN | @notintownlive | 01 Apr 2022, 11:20 am
Image Cr: visitghana.com
Accra: For the past 200 years, the Mona monkeys inhabiting the tropical forest surrounding the small village of Tafi-Atome have been protected because it was believed they were messengers to the gods.
As a result of these efforts, the monkey population has increased to about 200 and the forest, with its many species of birds and butterflies, has been preserved. The playful monkeys are wild but often come down very close to visitors.
Things to Do
- Stop at the visitor centre to arrange your tour and shop for village crafts in the small shop.
- Tour the village with a sanctuary guide, where you can see food being prepared and other daily activities.
- Visit a village pineapple farm and meet the farmer. Fresh pineapples may be available for purchase.
- See kente weaving at the nearby village of Tafi Abuipe, one of the principal weaving sites in Ghana which is 14 km by car or seven km by trail if you walk or rent a bicycle.
- Enjoy evening entertainment including drumming, dancing or stories around a bonfire.
Monkeys are generally out any time of day except during November through January, when they leave the village forest to forage for food from roughly 6:00-8:00 am and during 3:30-6:00 pm.
Accommodation, Food and Refreshments
The sanctuary offers a rustic six-room guest house adjacent to the Visitor Centre. Flush toilets, showers and sheets provided, but no towels. Home-stays are also available.
6 am to 6 pm daily
43 km south of Hohoe. From the main Ho-Hohoe road at Logba Alekpeti, turn at the Monkey Sanctuary sign onto the dirt road for five km to the Visitor Centre.
- Texas: Experience music like never before in Austin
- Unique aboriginal guided walks in Australia
- A Scenic Summer Adventure in Mammoth Lakes in California
- Snorkelling in Australian waters opens up an array of underwater treasures
- Ghana: Ever thought of visiting a traditional grove conservation site?
- 700 km hiking trail in Jordan is a multi-cultural treasure
- Reasons why you can choose Seychelles for holiday this year
- Oman’s true natural wonder is ‘Al Hoota Caves’
- 5 plus 1 reasons to fall in Love with Greece
- Australia: Top end attractions
Garuda Indonesia (GA) and Singapore Airlines (SIA) have announced their plans to establish a joint venture arrangement, aimed at strengthening their cooperation, expanding passenger capacity between Singapore and Indonesia, and offering customers more travel options between the two countries.
Abu Dhabi/UAE: Etihad Airways announced its plans to launch five weekly flights to Osaka, Japan, starting from October 1, 2023. This move will establish a vital link between one of the world's most culturally vibrant cities and Etihad's extensive global network.
Kolkata: Akasa Air, a new airline operating in India, on Thursday commenced its operations from Kolkata.